Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Happy New Year!


I can remember sitting in Mr. Bando's grade four class, at Cataline Elementary, the day he asked us to figure out how old we would be and what our lives would look like in the year 2005. Naturally we assumed we would have flying cars and robot servants by then. Some of us would be doctors and lawyers and teachers. I clearly remember thinking that it wasn't realistic to think that I could know what I wanted to be "when I grew up" while still only at the tender age of ten. I did take the liberty of assuming though, that aside from my as yet unknown career, I would, of course, be married, have two children and a dog that could catch frisbees. I imagined that my life would be like a perfect synthesis of "Anne of Green Gables", " Little Women", "Little house on the Prairie", and a few distinct "Choose Your Own Adventure" selections.

In reality, 2005 was the year I officially started "Suzabelle", a Seattle-based clothing company. I proudly sold my home-made re-vamped vintage pieces at two small boutiques in Seattle. In the past two years, I've gone through some huge ups and downs and as a result have learned a lot about this business. It's not as pretty and glamorous as I originally thought- much of my time is now spent on studying the latest changes in import law and tariff codes. I love the unexpected things I've discovered along the way, both about the world and myself. Who knew I'd get such a kick out of financial projections and bookkeeping? And who knew that the scariest part of this business wouldn't be predicting trends, running production on the other side of the world, or even marketing but simply getting the damn product across the border? Not me!

I will use this journal to update my family and friends of the latest goings on in the workshop. Please feel free to comment, be it critique or compliment, as it is the people around me that inspire me the most.
I wish everyone all the best for 2007 and hope to hear from you often!
Love, Suzie Q

No comments: